As Ohio State University Buckeyes, students from all campuses have opportunities to experience Ohio State's Land-Grant mission through OSU Extension. A variety of options exist for students to engage in meaningful projects as co-creators with faculty, staff, and community members to address shared interests and goals. OSU Extension is in all of Ohio's 88 counties and is part of a national network of Extension organizations. Engagement ranges from a one-time experience through exploring students’ career aspirations.
EXISTING AND EMERGING OPTIONS FOR STUDENT ENGAGEMENT
Current undergraduate students can work up to 28 hours in positions that support OSU Extension operations and compliment the student’s academic and career plans.
Enrolled Ohio State graduate students are eligible for Graduate Administrative Associateships (GAA) and Graduate Research Associateships (GRA). These positions are intended to supplement OSU Extension operational needs and compliment the student’s academic and career plans. All GA appointments follow guidelines established by the graduate school. Learn more about the graduate associate opportunities on their web page.
- Undergraduate students with financial need are eligible to participate in the federal work-study program. Undergraduates can earn money to help pay indirect education expenses. These positions are intended to supplement OSU Extension operational needs and compliment the student’s academic and career plans.
- Internships are short-term opportunities for students to gain skills, training, and experience within OSU Extension. These internship opportunities may be year-long, by semester, or occur during the summer. Learn more on Exension's internship page. Follow this link to hear from Rachel (video length 0:44) and hear from her supervisor Rob Leeds (video length 1:01).
- Seasonal Positions
Field experiences are offered in a supervised professional setting at state and county Extension offices.
- Academic credit can be earned through capstone, studio, research, and service projects.
- Volunteer Community Engagement
- OSU Extension partners with the Office of Student Life and other units across the university to support student engagement efforts. Some partners includes Student Life Social Change, Buck-I-SERV, Student Activities, Pay It Forward, and OSU Votes.
- OSU Extension county teams provide multiple options for volunteer engagement experience.
Advisors for Student Success
- STEP Advisors - The Second-year Transformational Experience Program (STEP) is an Ohio State program designed to intentionally engage second-year students with faculty and staff. The program is designed to focus on student success, development, and engagement. Through interactions with faculty and staff, students will develop life skills, build networks, and receive a fellowship up to $2,000 to use toward a STEP Signature Project of their choosing.
- Graduate Student Advisors
- Student Life Organization Advisors
- Numerous OSU Extension employees serve as primary or co-advisors to student organizations across the university. Advisors serve as the connection between student organizations and the university. Each student organization is responsible for selecting their own advisor(s). Learn more on the Student Activities website.
- Extension personnel provide guidance on projects such as the President's Prize.
RESOURCES FOR STUDENT ENGAGEMENT
- OSU Extension Checklist for meaningful and equitable faculty, staff, student, and community member engagement.
- Grants & Funding
- In partnership with the Council of Graduate Students (CGS), Office of Outreach and Engagement, Office of Student Life, and Office of Research, OSU Extension supports the Engaged Scholar Grant. This grant incentivizes graduate students to undertake community-engaged research or community-engaged projects in collaboration with a community partner to address a specific need or problem within the community (in-state or out-of-state). Graduate students may apply for grants ranging from $500 to $1,500. Learn more on the Engaged Scholar web page.
- The Ohio State University, Outreach & Engagement
OSU EXTENSION CAREERS
Are you interested in a career that allows you to work with diverse groups of people, educate the public, and make a difference in Ohio communities? Ohio State University Extension might be the perfect fit for you! Learn more at OSU Extension Careers