Celebrating Our Urban-Rural Connections –
Where We Live, Work,
Play, Learn & Serve
OSU Extension has joined the global community to celebrate Urban October. Urban October was created by UN Habitat as an opportunity for everyone to be part of the conversation about the challenges and opportunities created by the fast rate of change in cities and towns. Ohio’s theme this year is Celebrating Our Urban-Rural Connections – Where We Live, Work, Play, Learn & Serve.
Celebrating Urban October provides a foundation for deeper engagement that contributes to healthy urban communities and urban-, suburban-, and rural-relationships. The Ohio State University already collaborates with communities throughout the state through alumni, faculty, staff, students/interns, volunteers, and community partners. As part of the university’s Land-Grant mission, OSU Extension engages with all of Ohio’s 88 counties, including the metro areas.
OSU Kindness Food Insecurity Project
On October 18, Ohio State’s Office of Student Life led an effort of more than 600 volunteers to package 175,000 meals through Kids Around the World. Ohio State students, staff, faculty, alumni, volunteers, and families were involved in the 2-hour packing event at the French Fieldhouse on Ohio State’s Columbus campus.
The packaged meals were delivered to southeast Ohio on October 20 via Ohio State’s football tractor trailer for distribution through OSU Extension and local community partners. The 175,000 meals were distributed to 35 agencies in Athens, Washington, Meigs, and Gallia counties. The 811 boxes of food equaled approximately 27,000 pounds of shelf-stable food. The free meals will be provided to those struggling with food insecurity.
This year, West Virginia University packed meals on the same day and then participated in a meet-up with OSU Extension at the Williamstown-Marietta Bridge along the Ohio riverfront on October 20.
- October 16 - World Food Day Celebrated in Ohio
- October 18 - OSU Kindness Food Packing evening food packing in Columbus
- October 20 - OSU Kindness Food Distribution in southeast Ohio (Athens, Washington, Meigs, and Gallia counties) in partnership with West Virgina University
- University- and statewide-campaigns throughout October to increase awareness of OSU Extension and The Ohio State University connections in Ohio cities.
- 2022 Urban October Story (CFAES News)
- OSU Kindness Food Insecurity Packing & Distribution (media coverage)
- Urban October Toolkit for community participation.
- Urban October - Global Campaign
Urban October will continue to develop in coming years to foster local, state, national, and global connections. There are plenty of opportunities to keep the celebration and conversation going. For additional information, contact Julie Fox, Director Strategic Initiatives and Urban Engagement.
2021 Urban October overview: